SAN DIEGO, CA – February 21, 2012 – Triathlon America, an industry organization dedicated to promoting the sport and the business of triathlon, today announced winners of the 2012 Triathlon America Awards, presented by Active Network. The best companies, retailers and athletes in the triathlon industry in 2011 were recognized and honored on the final night of the Triathlon America Conference.
Named after one of triathlon’s earliest pioneers, the Ron Smith Triathlete of the Year award recognizes a male and female triathlete who best demonstrates a combination of strong moral character, athletic performance and professionalism in the sport of triathlon. Winners are:
– Ron Smith Female Athlete of the Year – Chrissie Wellington
– Ron Smith Male Athlete of the Year – Craig Alexander
Most Innovative Triathlon Products in 2011
– Quintana Roo QR Illicito
– Campagnolo TT Components
– Garmin Forerunner 910XT
– Look KeoBlade
– Salt Stick Caps PLUS
Top 10 US Retailers of 2011 (Log onto: www.triathlon-america.com, To see a complete list of Top 10 US retailers in your area.)
– Triathlon LAB, Inc., Los Angeles, CA
Best Published Written Triathlon Article of 2011
– “Me and the King,” written by Scott Tinley and published in 3GO Magazine
– “Back to His Roots,” written by Julia Beeson Polloreno and published in Triathlete Magazine
– “Kona Confidential,” written by Holly Bennett and published in Triathlete Magazine
Rankings were determined by the National Voting Panel (NVP) consisting of all Triathlon America founding members and additional award panel members prominent within the industry.
About Triathlon America
Triathlon America is an industry organization dedicated to promoting the sport and the business of triathlon. Founded by a group of industry leaders, Triathlon America advocates for the interests of triathlon businesses, provides educational and informative programs, and encourages increased participation in the sport. For more information, please visit www.triathlon-america.com.